Thursday, April 3, 2008

Childhood Memories

This post was the "I remember" free write that we did as one of our first entries. I looked outside the window and was reminded of my childhood. For some reason, the free write came out as a poem and I just went with it. I have not edited anything in this post, because I really like the honesty with which I wrote that day

I remember days like this one
in a different state
bright and sunny
with just the right amount of clouds
and a light breeze bringing the smell of the water and fresh grass with it
days where we biked and hiked
picking dandelions and blowing their fuzz into the air
carefree and lighthearted
just as we were
days of laying in the grass
ladybugs crawling around
playing in the sprinklers

I remember days like this one
in even another state
days on the pier
watching the sealions
make their characteristic noises
days spent watching the waves
Alcatraz looming in the distance
watching the street shows
like the silver painted man
driving down crooked street
and wandering China Town

and then I remember days in this state
where days like this are rare
a couple in march
a few in april
days spent walking around campus
sitting by the turtle pond
and eating ice cream on university

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your last lines remind me of the week of perfect spring weather that tucson gets before the onset of the desperately long summer. It makes me think of these brief periods of contentment, and then waking up one day and finding it is gone.

bill89 said...

Wow when I read your blog entry it made me feel really carefree and happy. I get that same feeling sometimes walking around the campus with no clouds in the sky and a perfect temperature. Its really nice to just look around at all the scenery on campus and just to let it soak in and have it relax you. Whenever I'm stressed I like to go on a walk around campus to just unwind and let the environment soak into me. Its one of the few times I can just be alone with my thoughts and when I can just be me.

I feel the same way too when I am at a theme park. I feel like I am in a place I belong, where everyone is having fun and the sights are just amazing. It's just a really nice and relaxing experience.

Delicate Nothings said...

i LOVE this! it has somewhat of a nostalgic tone to it that really adds texture to your writing. this makes me want to go travel to different states now. it's awesome that you were able to have those experiences...it makes me wanna go run around in circles with my arms wide open for some reason...haha wierd...